Sunday, December 09, 2012

First Half Marathon RunEdRun 2012

So after a few months of running, I decided to try a half marathon (13.1 miles). I found one in Douglas County at the High School that sounded like fun. It was called RunEdRun and was to benefit the Douglas County School District. The entry fee was not high and the course was pretty flat so I thought this would be the perfect first attempt at a Half Marathon.

Between the 10K in Ashland in July and October 7th I got in a few 13 mile training long runs so I knew I could do the distance. I was also pretty sure that I was not going to be up with the leaders. With both of those considerations in check the only thing left to decide was what condition would I be in after the race. I knew to take it easy and not go out too fast so that I would have something left for the last half of the race. I knew that in my mind but must have forgot to tell my legs that. I went out with everyone else, once around the track before leaving and heading to Genoa. I should have known that we were on a pretty fast pace as I could hear the announcer reminding the runners to save something for the end. Oh well I felt great and was running right with the pack.

Off we went down some beautiful city streets and then out into a farmers pasture. The pasture part was neat because were running on a dirt road and right past cows. The cows looked at us like we were crazy as the farmers opened all the gates and gave us that same "you are crazy" look.

Once across the pastures we were on the paved roads again and heading towards Genoa. The roads were pretty quiet and amazingly flat. I mean really flat, what a great course for a first Half Marathon. Into the little historical town of Genoa and turn left. We were on our way past David Walley's Hot Springs and some nice homes. Then another left turn and we were on another long flat run back towards the High School.

At one point we started passing the runners from the shorter races. It was really fun to give them a high five and send some encouragement their way. Some were struggling and a good word seemed to give them a little more juice to keep going to the end.

Back at the High School their was a finish line and awards for the top finishers. They also had some Spirit competitions for the local schools to compete for money that would go to the winning schools.

I finished way faster than I ever expected to finish. My finish time was 2 hours and 8 minutes. I probably should have run slower to keep the soreness down after but what the heck, it was a race.

I am looking forward to my next race now. It will be the Eugene Marathon in Eugene Oregon in April 2013. Not too far off to start getting excited about it already.


See you on the road...

Don

No comments: